Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Week Three: What is ITEC ?

What is Instructional Technology?

According to the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) Definition and Terminology Committee instructional technology is “the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources (AECT, 2004).

My own definition of instruction technology is “utilizing technological sources in education to better the learning experience. Instructional technologists use the learning theory to increase learners’ engagement in learning as well as communication.

My place in instructional Technology

Broad Perspective: On a more broad level my place consists of making improvement in creating college level curricula that is inclusive of current/modern technologies.

Specialized Perspective: I would like to:
*Work with University Council on Technology (UCT) to ensure that appropriate and most useful technologies are utilized on campus
*Work with the Universities Curriculum Services Department – by working with department will enable me to assist in the decision-making process as to what technology should be utilized and implemented
*Work closely with the Director of Curriculum services (currently that is, Theresa Tillet)
*In short I would like to make continuous contributions to Kent State University’s vision of fusing technology and education in a way that is most beneficial to its students.

Goals and Usage of my degree

*If none of my classes are canceled, I will finish up my degree program in August 2009
*My goal is as stated above in my specialized perspective in to make continuous efforts to fuse education and technology in a way that is most beneficial to Kent State University students.

What can you do with a degree in Instructional Technology?

*You can work in a governmental offices, nor-for profit agencies, elementary, junior high, high school and college level educational systems
*You can be a teacher (the degree with make you a hot commodity because you will have improved your teaching practice and be knowledgeable of the latest technologies)
*Corporate trainer
*Distance learning coordinator
*Purchaser of technology equipment for a business/college/etc
*Online curriculum developer
*Online teacher
*Train instructors or other campus officials on the latest technologies on their campus
*Test and troubleshoot educational technologies
*Among many other professions

What I plan to do

As I have mentioned before I plan to continue working at Kent State University. I will finish up my masters ITEC program and than look for jobs within my area. Preferably I would like to remain at Kent State University, but if not I will look into jobs at Akron Public School, University of Akron and/or small private college/universities in the area. I will also like to become a contributor to the University Council on Technology.

In order to keep my knowledge base current I think I will need to:
*Join professional organizations for the field
*Subscribe to magazines/journals about ITEC
*Continuously research the field
*Search for a mentor who already has experience in the field
*If time permits (because I work full time) participate in an internship to gain some hands on experience
*Network with other ITEC professionals
*Attend conferences/meeting


AECT. (2004, June). Definition and Terminolgy Committee. In Association for Educational Communication and Technology. Retrieved September 8, 2008, from http://www.aect.org/about/ div_.asp?DivisionID=18

No comments: